Minnesota is filled with fun snowshoeing activities and races during the 2022 and 2023 winter season. We've compiled a list of the best ones along with details such as dates, registration fees and deadlines, and trail info.
If you've thought of participating in a snowshoe race or running activity in the winter now is the time! The perfect snowshoe to try for running and racing is our Luna Foam Snowshoes. At 20" long and only about 2.5lbs per pair, the Hoka-inspired rocker platform bends and rolls with your foot…just like your favorite athletic shoe.
Summer-only athletes can make a smooth transition to snowshoe running using Lunas. A simple hook-and-loop of the military grade Velcro bindings and off you go!
Minneapolis Area City of Lakes Loppet Winter Festival
For those living near Minneapolis there are events right in your backyard. If you're looking to snowshoe with your kids, the Loppet Walk would be hard to beat!
Luminary Loppet Walk
Enjoy a candlelit trail across Lake of the Isles in Uptown Minneapolis in the peaceful winter nighttime. Not only is this event a great time, but a fundraiser to support year-round outdoor programs in the Minneapolis area. This is not a race – just a night out with family and friends! An outdoor concert and dancing takes place as well as fire pits and food trucks to warm you up after the walk.
- Length: 3.5k (about 2.2 miles)
- When: Saturday, February 4, 2023 with waves starting at 6:00PM every 30 minutes until final wave at 8:30pm.
- Where: Lake of the Isles, MN (open in Google Maps)
- Registration Fees: Adults:$20 for first 8k participants, $30 for next 4k, $35 for next 4k. Kids: 3 and under free, 4-16 $12
Loppet 10k Race
This race takes place in the park in an urban setting. A golf course in the summer, it’s transformed into a winter wonderland with rolling hills and meadows and skylines of Minneapolis. Much of it takes place on groomed cross country ski trails which are typically restricted to snowshoeing.
- Length: 10k (about 6.2 miles)
- When: Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 10:40am.
- Where: 3000 East, W Bde Maka Ska Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55408 (open in Google Maps)
- Registration Fees:
- $30 until 1/10/23
- $35 until 1/31/23
- $40 until 2/2/23
- $60 starting 2/3/22
Duluth Winter Trailrunning Series Races
The Duluth Winter Trailrunning Series (DWTS) has five races, some trail running and some snowshoeing, that take place on snow-packed fat bike multi-use trails near Duluth, MN. Awesome elevated views of Lake Superior and the town of Duluth are common. There are 5 races, two of which are snowshoe-only. It’s likely to be cold up here in the heart of winter so be sure to check the forecast beforehand and dress accordingly!
Northwoods Winter Trail Half Marathon Snowshoe Run
For winter athletes really wanting to push themselves, a full or half marathon takes place in the pines of Duluth's close-by forests. These paths aren't flat, so constant elevation changes will test your fitness levels.
- Length: 42k or 21k (Full Marathon - about 26.2 miles; Half Marathon - about 13.1 miles)
- When: January 7, 2023 at 10:30am (the Trail Run starts at 9:30am)
- Where: Lester-Amity Chalet (open in Google Maps)
- Registration Fees: $75 by January 18, 2023; $85 afterwards
Hartley Park 10k Race
This 10k through the wooded trails of Hartley Park is still plenty challenging at 6.2 miles long for those not ready for a half or full marathon. Although you won't be on top of Lake Superior, this race is still remote giving you the real feeling up "Up North" snowshoeing.
- Length: 10k (about 6.2 miles)
- When: Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 10:30am (the Trail Run starts at 9:30am)
- Where: Lester-Amity Chalet - Duluth, MN (open in Google Maps)
- Registration Fees: $35 by January 16, 2023; $45 afterwards